March 18, 2013

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Title: Cinder

Author: Marissa Meyer (Author Site)


Series: Book 1 of 4


Published: Janurary 2012


Edition Read: Paperback


Pages: 400


Level Recommended: Young Adult


Overall: I was so amazed by Meyer's Cinder that I found myself up late at night reading unable to put it down. The sci-fi aspects of this retelling make Cinder so wonderful I'm thrilled I didn't have to wait for Scarlet, the second book in the series. 



SummaryHumans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future. 



What I thought: Even though I had heard how awesome Cinder was I resisted reading it because I wondered how a science fiction retelling of the story would truly work out. That and I was also halfway into the second half of the school year. Let's face it, I didn't get much reading done. One day a few weeks ago I was browsing the  YA section of my bookstore. I kept going past and returning to Cinder. I eventually took it home and read it finally finishing it during my Spring Break. Quite simply I fell in love with it. Yes, it has it's flaws. I knew exactly who Cinder was not too far into the novel. However, the end of the novel was still fantastic. 

My favorite villain was appropriately Cinder's stepmother, Adri. She was truly hateful when it came to Cinder, and lived up to how I have always seen her. Her stepsister, Pearl, parroting her mother's hatefulness. I especially loved Peony, and how deeply Cinder loved her. Queen Levana, the lunar queen, came out very much reminding me of a Snow White queen. 


I was so thrilled with this story that I'm sorry I didn't pick it up sooner. I've been looking for a great read that I could have a hard time reviewing because I think it's so awesome. Cinder certainly hit that goal for me. I'm sorely tempted to run out an buy Scarlet, the second book in the series. The only thing that's keeping me from doing that is that it will be a hardcover edition that doesn't match my paperback copy. 


Nerd problems. 


I loved this book. Run out, get it, read it. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...