July 2, 2010

Summer of Skinny Dipping by Amanda Howells

The Summer of Skinny Dipping by Amanda Howells
(Author Page)
ARC received from Around the World Tours

Summer of Skinny Dipping is currently released and available for purchase. 
After getting dumped by her boyfriend, sixteen-year-old Mia Gordon is looking forward to spending a relaxing summer in the Hamptons with her glamorous cousins. But when she arrives, her cousins are distant, moody, and caught up with a fast crowd. Mia finds herself lonelier than ever. That's when she meets her next-door-neighbor, Simon Ross. Simon isn't like the snobby party boys her cousins seem obsessed with; he's funny, artistic, and utterly adventurous. And from the very first time he encourages Mia to go skinny-dipping, she's caught up in a current impossible to resist. (Source)
I don't remember signing up for this book at all. I've been trying to keep a record of all the books I'm signing up for so I can keep up with them, but I obviously didn't do a good enough job. As a result I ended up not realizing I had this book on the way, and it was nice change from all the paranormal I've been reading to read a fairly normal romantic YA.

Mia is normal teenage girl who thought she was in love with her boyfriend, until, that is, he dumped her for a girl that was sticking around for the summer. (Ugh, men, am I right?) Mia is devastated, but when her family travels to an old family vacation spot on the beach with her favorite cousin, Corinne, Mia thinks things are looking up. It isn't until she arrives at Indigo Beach that she realizes just how much Corinne has changed since she last saw her. Apparently, Mia is uncool, and Corinne lets her know it with her snotty actions.

Corinne is snobby and trying to be more grown up than she is, smoking and talking like she's seen and done it all. Mia thinks she's got a psychological problem the way Corinne's emotions bounce back and forth. Corinne just wants to party and Mia feel small town and lost trying to be on par with her cousin. Then she meets Simon, and things change. Simon becomes Mia's summer love, and she's blissfully happy in her bubble with him. The only question left now is what Simon and Mia will do once the summer is over.

First off, the writing was really good. I wasn't totally in the mood for a romance, especially when I wasn't anticipating this novel, but I found this book to be a lovely summer read. I honestly don't believe I read a lot of romance novels since I believe that I can find romance in almost any novel. It doesn't necessarily have to be all the book is about, but this book was sweet and set during a time like summer where all you could do is live in that romance...well I liked it. I think most teen girls will too. The book dragged a bit in places, but I could totally relate to Mia being lost even in the company of family.

Most reviewers are split when it comes to the ending. It seems like they either hated or loved it. Personally it was okay, for me, but again I think all readers will just have to make a decision for themselves. I like books like this in that they spark a conversation. I can't wait to read more reviews.

Visit the ARC Tour page to read other reviews on Summer of Skinny Dipping.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...