June 28, 2010

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce
(Author Page) (Sisters Red Series)

Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris-- the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts fiercely alongside her. Now Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves and finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax-- but loving him means betraying her sister and has the potential to destroy all they've worked for.
Sisters Red was a book I didn't want to finish reading, which is really good! I didn't want it to end and I wanted to spend some more time with Silas, Scarlett, and Rosie. I enjoyed Jackson's storytelling, and the world that she created for her retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. She implemented a lot of the fairy tale while also making the story original and hers. Where there was myth she found the ability to modernize the story without straight out retelling it, and simply expanding on the original story.

Scarlett and Rosie are both sisters who witnessed their grandmother dying at the hands of a Fenri, and as a result Scarlett is left scarred and changed. She vows to hunt the Fenri with every last breath in her body, and Rosie follows her sisters passion. Now both girls are teenagers fighting and killing the Fenri with the hope that with each Fenri they manage to destroy one more girl won't die. The only real difference between Scarlett and Rosie is that while both are hunters, Rosie feels the need to walk away from the hunt, if only for a couple of hours, to be part of the normal human crowd, and longs to find love.

When the Fenris begin to hunt for the Potential, a human male that can be turned into a Fenri, Scarlett, Rosie and their friend and woodsmen Silas decide to move to Atlanta to hunt the Fenri. Many packs are appearing to search, and where there are many Fenri there are also deaths. The Fenri hunt and eat humans. In particular, human females of the beautiful and young variety.  Where Rosie is noticing how very handsome Silas is Scarlett is obsessed with the need to hunt.

On the surface Sisters Red is a fairy tale retold, but it is also a tale of love. Scarlett's love for her sister is unending. The spark of romance that Rosie feels for her long-time friend Silas is sweet. Over all the story was really sweet when love was the focus, and passionately fierce when the three fight the Fenri. They are united in the common cause of killing the wolves and keeping the Dragonflies blissfully unaware, but it is also this knowledge and cause that could threaten their relationship.

If you haven't read this book I'm about to talk about a couple spoiler-y parts. You may want to just stop reading here, and skip to the end. Highlight the text to read what I have to say.

I wasn't completely thrilled with Sisters Red only in that I found parts of it expected. I figured out who the Potential was halfway through, and was just waiting for the main characters to figure it out too. I don't know if it's just because I'm an older reader or if it was because of the storytelling, but when I heard the wolf say; "We've got what we need." Who the Potential was clicked in my head, and I'd hoped that the same was true for the girls. Reading a little further I could see exactly why the main characters wouldn't have immediately suspected, but when it turned out I was right...well I just wish I hadn't. Again it's a tricky area that I don't like or dislike, but it was predictable.

I was sad for Scarlett who chose to live for the hunt rather then for herself. Or perhaps the hunt really was for herself? Anyway I really felt hat Scarlett only saw her scars, and those scars seemed to define her in a negative way. She seemed to feel like those scars were all she had, and I was sad for her. I wanted her to find love and happiness and learn to accept her scars. She must be beautiful if she can lead in Fenri and be the bait. Why Scarlett couldn't allow herself to find and fall in love was beyond me. I was happy for Rosie who found her love, and I could completely understand her needing to live in that love rather than pain. Perhaps there will be a point in the series where this will be resolved? Hum.

Over all though this book was a fun read. I enjoyed the fight scenes and how well both girls took to defending themselves. I loved the romance, and the sisters. If they made me feel the need to hate or love them I think Jackson has done her job beautifully. I put the book down several times, but this was because I didn't want to finish it. I didn't want to stop being in Rosie and Scarlett's world, and that is awesome.

I can't wait for the next companion books in this series, Sweetly and Fathomless. Both are retellings, but if they are anything like Sisters Red I'm sure we'll be in for a marvelous surprise.

eta: Read Jackson Pearce's guest post on  Book Chick City.

3 comments:

Glenna said...

*Spoileryish* Wow- usually, I can figure out plots early, but I completely didn't figure out who the potential was. Great job!

I connected with Scarlett... Sometimes people just don't get over scars, physical or emotional, and I thought Pearce was brave for dealing with that realistically.

Great review!

Angiegirl said...

Sweet. I can't wait to read this one. May have to act on that today!

Sami said...

Glenna- Well, like I said I don't know if it's just me. Sometimes other people can figure things out so quickly, and I wonder how they did that! With Scarlett I totally got her in that I have scars of my own I can't get over, but I think that's also why I wanted to her to.

Angie- I can't wait to read what you think. Maybe you'll enjoy it as much as I did!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...